Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Huge Explosion in Ghent


I am having a hard time procesing the gas station explosion in Ghent, WV. I have driven by that place hundreds of times and stopped there for gas, cash and soda at least 50. My cousin used to work a couple of miles from there and stopped there almost everyday after work.

More importantly, I can't fathom the cosmic "justice" of people who were just stopping for gas or a sandwich at the little Subway shop that was in the building, or people working there at jobs that must have been less than satisfying, becoming vaporised becuase they were in the wrong place, or in the case of the fire fighter and EMT who died, just doing their best to serve the people. Not in a war zone, not near an oil well, or a refinery or some other dangerous place. Just a gas station near a ski resort.

There are also rumors in the local community, that the call to the local fire department about a gas leak was made the day previous to the explosion, but that is just a rumor at the moment.

It is late and this is bothering me, so sorry if I am rambling, but just looking at the pictures is overwhelming, having a personal knowledge of the place. (see Article)

I suppose if I am drawing any personal insights from this it would be:

1. I have not for some time been a believer in a deterministic, paternalistic god, as it would require me to have faith in something who would be by definition cruel in my estimation. Events such as this simply reinforce those internal views. But then again, I am sure that the same is true for people of that type of faith, who just believe all the more blindly in the face of random death. In adulthood I believe that most often traumatic events tend to reinforce who we are, not change us. And so, our greater efforts should rest on not trying to change people, but working on living with each other as they decide whether or not to change themselves, or when necessary, helping them to survive a world that is ultimately cruel without the milk of human kindness.

2. Try as we might to live safe, insured insulated lives, we all live under the despotism of chaos. Therefore, if you do not like your life, and have the means to alter it, you are a fool not to do so. Now. AS far as we know for sure, you only have this chance and you have no real idea when that chance will be over. It might be on your way home from work this very day.

3. For the untold billions who do not have the power to alter their life course, it remains the moral obligation of those of us who can, to empower those whom we can.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in the Ghent area and attended Ghent Elm., but now reside in NC. I've been browsing blogs, trying to get the "down home" version of how everyone is managing, but bloggers up there are few and far between. Considering you have a cousin that worked in the area and WV being the way it is... we are probably related somehow so, howdy cousin!

jedijawa said...

Me thinks you need to post more often. Where are the football jerseys?

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Anonymous said...

[i] hi, i found this web site and wonder if anyone had any experience or did buy cookbook software from them ?[/i]